Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Here's a high-protein, fairly low-fat side dish that is super simple to make, and actually tastes *wonderful!* (no chicken livers!!) Best if made the night before.
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas, soaked, cooked, drained (don't use canned mushy and yucky-looking)
- 2 cups white rice, cooked
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 scallions, sliced (~1/4 - 1/2 cup)
- 5 roma tomatoes, juiced, seeded, and diced (~2 cups, or use 1 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, fresh, julienned
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- Pick through dry beans, rinse, and soak in water overnight at room temperature. Simmer for ~1½ hours, until JUST tender. Cool, drain, rinse.
- In a large bowl, mix the all ingredients thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate several hours. Taste for need of extra salt & pepper – may need another ¼ teaspoon.