Recipe by Pesto lover
For ZWT 6. Nokkelost Cheese is what makes this quiche special. If you can't find it, and it is very hard to find, you can use a Havarti cheese with caraway. It won't be the same, because nokkelost cheese contains, caraway, cumin and cloves, but it will be as close as you can get to the real thing. This recipe is from the Sons of Norway. If you substitute the Havarti with caraway, you need to add 1/8 tsp ground cumin with the salt and white pepper.
- 150 g butter
- 200 g flour
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 6 slices bacon
- 250 g nokkelost cheese, grated
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin (if not using real nokkelost cheese)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix butter and flour until crumbly. Add water until a soft dough forms. Handle as little as possible. Press into a 9 inch quiche pan.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel. Crumble.
- Place grated cheese onto bottom of pie crust.
- Whisk eggs, half and half, chives, salt and pepper together. Add cumin powder at this point if you are not using Nokkelost cheese.
- Pour carefully into pie shell.
- Sprinkle bacon on top.
- Bake on lowest rack of oven until firm, approximately 30-40 minutes.