Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
These rolls flavored with cardamom are beloved in Norway. They are served for breakfast, lunch, snacks and dessert. They are available all over Norway, both with and without raisins. They are served with both savory and sweet dishes, or all by themselves. Posted for ZWT9
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk, warmed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cardamom, ground
- 5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 egg white, for glazing
- Mix the warm milk (about 100F), melted butter, sugar and yeast together in a large bowl. Let it stand for 10 mins unntil the yeast is foamy. Add the salt and cardemon. Add the flour 1 cup at a time, stirring to mix after each addition. Stir in the raisins if you are using them. The dough will be pretty sticky at this point.
- Cover and let the dough rise in a warm place for about an hour, or until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead briefly (for just a couple of minutes) Break off pieces of dough about the size of a large golf ball and roll in your hands to make them round and smooth.
- Place the balls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet and cover. Let them rise for about 30-40 minutes.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg white and bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Cool about 15 minutes before eating and then enjoy with butter, or chese and meat, or just plain!