Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
The Midland shires have a considerable number of recipes for cheesecakes. This one is filled with a curd or cream cheese, fruit and almond mixture.
- 8 ounces prepared shortcrust pastry
- 6 ounces curds or 6 ounces cream cheese
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 ounces caster sugar
- 4 ounces currants
- 1 finely grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, for dusting
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line 14 to 16 lightly greased patty tins.
- Set oven to 350ºF or mark 4.
- In a bowl, beat the curd or cheese until smooth.
- Put the butter, eggs and sugar in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring , until thickened, but do not allow to boil!
- Remove from the heat and stir in the curd or cheese, then add the currants, lemon rind and almond essence.
- Combine well and fill the tins.
- Sprinkle a little nutmeg over each and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Serve hot or cold.