Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 4 mins
This recipe was in a packet of recipes from my DD's culinary school - International Hot Foods. I have had to add approximate times to the process. I have not tried it.
- 4 large onions (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup chickpeas (cooked)
- 1 cup golden raisin (soaked)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter (clarified, a.k.a. samna)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 6 chicken breasts (boneless)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 4 cups couscous (uncooked)
- 2 cups water (lightly salted, boiling)
- salt (to taste)
- In a large sauce pan, add olive oil and saute onions until caramelized on low heat for about 8-10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add cumin and sugar and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes stirring on low. (Do not let sugar burn).
- Cut chicken pieces into bite sized pieces.
- Add stock, chickpeas, raisins, saffron, cinnamon, chicken and bring to a light boil, then cover, reduce to simmer and cook for 30 minutes stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven at 350 degrees F. Line a jelly roll pan with baking parchment paper, toast the almonds with the clarified butter drizzled over them for about 10-15 minutes in a 350 degree F oven and set aside.
- Stir couscous into boiling water, remove from heat and cover tightly, let stand for 8 minutes.
- Uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Serve with couscous on bottom, then chicken mixture and top with toasted almonds.