Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a delicious soup and the masa harina gives it a very nice flavor. I found in the Houston Chronicle.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup masa harina
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- parmesan cheese (to garnish) (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Brown chicken 4 to 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to pot and sauté until the onion is translucent. Add chicken broth.
- In a medium bowl, combine masa harina with 2 cups water and whisk until blended.
- Add masa mixture to pot with onions, garlic and broth.
- Add remaining 1 cup water, enchilada sauce, cheese, chili powder and cumin to pot and bring mixture to a boil.
- Shred or cut chicken into small pieces and add to the pot.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.