Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a nice lazy day casserole. It can be made earlier in the day and popped in the oven at dinner time. My family always look forward to this casserole.
- 3 cups uncooked medium noodles or 3 cups broad egg noodles
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram or 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (GRATED)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- COOK NOODLES IN SALTED, BOILING WATER UNTIL NEARLY DONE, RINSE WELL AND SET ASIDE.
- BROWN ONIONS IN MARGARINE.
- ADD GROUND BEEF AND SEASONINGS& FRY UNTIL MEAT LOSES IT'S RED COLOUR.
- COMBINE SOUP WITH MILK AND STIR WELL.
- IN A CASSEROLE DISH, PUT DOWN A LAYER OF NOODLES, TOP WITH A LAYER OF GROUND BEEF AND THEN A LAYER OF THE SOUP MIXTURE.
- REPEAT LAYERS ENDING WITH NOODLES.
- SPRINKLE WITH GRATED CHEESE AND POUR BEATEN EGGS ON TOP.
- BAKE IN A 350 DEGREE OVEN FOR ABOUT 60 MINUTES OR UNTIL TOP IS CRISP AND GOLDEN BROWN.
Bought the ingredients & started to make this, got to step #4...wait a minute...WHAT SOUP??? Not on the ingredient list! [editors note: added cream of celery] Substituted jar of Alfredo sauce. Not bad. A little too rich. The top layer was too crisp after an hour in the oven, but the overall flavor was very good. I'll make this again (maybe cream of mushroom soup?) and bake it with a lid for less time, uncover at the end.