Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
My wife and I love Wendy's Mandarin Salad. She is diabetic so I had to come up with some thing she could eat. This tastes just like my original with out all the sugar. It's great.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar-free apricot jam
- 8 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 7 tablespoons Splenda granular
- 2 tablespoons sugar twin brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 (6 ounce) can chicken, cut in to bite size pieces
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 4 mandarin orange segments, on each salad
- 1 cup dried chow mein noodles
- 1 cup roased sliced almonds
- Prepare dressing by combining all dressing ingredients except vegetable oil and sesame seeds. Blend on high speed.
- While blending, SLOWLY add oil to mixture to create an emulsion.
- After completing emulsion, Add sesame seeds and blend for just a couple of seconds.
- Pour dressing into a covered container and chill.
- Cut chicken in to bight size pieces.
- Build each salad by first arranging about 4 cups of iceberg lettuce in the bottom of a large salad bowl or plate.
- Sprinkle diced bite size pieces of chicken over the salad.
- Arrange about 4 mandarin orange wedges on each salad. (you can eliminate to reduce more sugar content).
- Add sesame dressing to each salad.
- Sprinkle about ¼ cup dried chow mein noodles and ¼ cup roasted sliced almonds on top of each salad and serve.
You kinda lost me in Steps 6 & 7 of the directions, since everywhere else essentially you're working on 4 individual salad plates! Nevertheless, I used a cup of lettuce on each of 4 salad plates, then added a half cup of cooked & cubed chicken breast (that I had in the freezer) to each plate! Then I continued with Step 8, & we had a very nice salad, particularly enjoying the combo of chicken, oranges & nuts. [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC tag]