Recipe by Zurie
An old recipe from my scrapbook, quick and easy. Just remember to make it the night before, to firm up, as no baking is required. Lovely for tea, and the kids will love them. Rich, yes, so slice into small neat blocks.
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 lb butter (not margarine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 14 ounces plain cookies, finely crushed (2 packets, usually, 2 x 200g in metric)
- 2 cups desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the condensed milk, butter, sugar, lemon rind, citrus juices and vanilla over medium heat.
- Add the dessicated coconut and cookie crumbs.
- Spray a square tin with nonstick spray. (Sorry, size of tin not given, but you'll be able to judge by sight).
- Press the mixture evenly into the tray and cool.
- Mix the confectioners sugar with just enough lemon juice to make it spreadable.
- Spread over the cookie bar mixture.
- Chill overnight until firm and cut into small blocks.