This recipe comes from the 13 Mar 07 issue of Woman's World, & looks too good [& tastes too good, too!] not to pass along. It is billed as a 'Lighten-Up! Recipe.' Preparation time does not include time needed to cool down.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (again)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line 9" square baking pan with enough foil to overhang sides by 2", then coat with cooking spray.
- At medium speed, beat flour, sour cream, 3 tablespoons powdered sugar & butter until combined.
- Press dough onto bottom of pan, & prick with fork.
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- At low speed, beat eggs, whites, juices, zest, baking powder & 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar until combined.
- Pour over warm crust.
- Bake 40 minutes or until set.
- Cool on wire rack, & if desired, sprinkle with additional powdered sugar before cutting into bars.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Like a mousse/custard! Since the crust seemed a touch plain, I added 1/2 tsp orange zest and a few drops of lemon extract. If it weren't for the fact that I've hidden the rest, it would be all gone! I love that it isn't too sweet as well. I did have to leave it in the oven about 5 mins longer that stated, but well worth the wait!
I give the citrus filling 5 stars and the crust 3 so it evens out to a 4. I love lemon bars but have never made an orange lemon mix...it turned out fabulous! Easy, very citrusy, tangy and YUMMY and not eggy. The crust was plain, thick and slightly chewy...I would prefer a sweeter flaky shortbread crust. I will make this again with a different crust. Thanks for the recipe! Editing to add: I want to try these with the addition of raspberries....Yum!