This is a recipe that I got from my wonderful friend. It's one of those granola recipes that you can easily tweak to fit your personal choice of tastes. If you don't like wheat germ, try flax meal. Not a coconut fan? Leave it out. And you can add any type of dried fruit that you like! You can't go wrong with this one. Plus...only 1/3 cup of brown sugar!! Let me know how yours turns out, and what fun takes you have on this recipe! I appreciate your input =)
- 6 cups oatmeal
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup honey crunch wheat germ (I've done flax meal, too)
- 1 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried blueberries (anything you like) or 1 1⁄2 cups dried cherries (anything you like) or 1 1⁄2 cups raisins (anything you like)
- 1 cup dried almonds (etc) or 1 cup cashews (etc)
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil (I use coconut oil)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- In large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, coconut, nuts and nonfat dry milk.
- Combine honey, oil, water and vanilla (in separate dish).
- Add slowly to oat mixture and stir to coat.
- Turn into 2 large pans (shallow -- like a cookie sheet).
- Heat in 300 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Stir twice during heating. Stir occasionally while cooling.
- Add berries, store in tightly sealed containers or bag, and enjoy!