Recipe by daisy M
This is a Nigella Lawson recipe from 'Feasts'. It is slightly sweet and has a tender crumb. The wheatgerm makes it, sort of healthy.
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Fill a 12 cup muffin tray with paper liners or butter it.
- You can also use mini-muffins in which case it will make about 28.
- Reserve 1/4th of the chopped pecans.
- Mix together remaining pecans with flour, salt, wheatgerm and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together milk, egg, maple syrup, oil and vanilla.
- Pour the liquids into the dry mixture.
- Gently fold to mix.
- The batter can have some lumps.
- Do not overmix because these muffins can get tough.
- Spoon into the muffin tins.
- Chop the remaining nuts finely and mix with the brown sugar.
- Sprinkle a little on the top of each muffin.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until tester comes clean (less if baking in a mini muffin tin).
- The nut topping turns golden but the muffins will be very pale.
- Remove muffins to a cooling rack.
- Serve them warm or at room temperature, may be with some more maple syrup.