1/2 Photos of Nif's Pretty Bell Pepper Rice Pilaf
I came up with this tonight, trying to use some of the veggies in my fridge while they were still good! I like to overlap steps to save time so I hope that the instructions make sense! You can use any kind of broth to make the rice or just use water. I also really enjoyed the rosemary but you don't need to add any herbs if you don't want to. The type of rice is also optional. Just make sure that you end up with about 2.5 cups of cooked rice. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml converted long grain white rice
- 473.18 ml chicken broth (or whichever kind you prefer, water works in a pinch)
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml bell pepper, diced (red, yellow or orange)
- 9.85 ml fresh herbs, chopped, optional (your favourite, I used rosemary)
- salt and pepper
- 29.58 ml green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1Place rice and broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover with lid, set heat to minimum and cook for 20 minutes. No peaking! If you are using a different kind of rice, just follow the instructions. You want your rice to be cooked, but not mushy!
- 2Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over low-medium heat.
- 3Cut veggies in the order listed (onion, carrot, garlic and peppers). Add each type of veggie to the pan as they are cut. When they are all added, turn heat to low and let veggies sweat. You want them to be soft but not browned. Add herbs, if using.
- 4When rice is done, add it to the frying pan. Give it all a stir, taste and add salt and pepper to your liking. Serve immediately as rice will become mushy if you let it sit.
- 5Top with green onion.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nif's Pretty Bell Pepper Rice Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.4
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 388.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: