Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I came up with this tonight, trying to use some of the veggies in my fridge while they were still good! I like to overlap steps to save time so I hope that the instructions make sense! You can use any kind of broth to make the rice or just use water. I also really enjoyed the rosemary but you don't need to add any herbs if you don't want to. The type of rice is also optional. Just make sure that you end up with about 2.5 cups of cooked rice. Enjoy!
- 236.59 ml converted long grain white rice
- 473.18 ml chicken broth (or whichever kind you prefer, water works in a pinch)
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml bell pepper, diced (red, yellow or orange)
- 9.85 ml fresh herbs, chopped, optional (your favourite, I used rosemary)
- salt and pepper
- 29.58 ml green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- Place rice and broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover with lid, set heat to minimum and cook for 20 minutes. No peaking! If you are using a different kind of rice, just follow the instructions. You want your rice to be cooked, but not mushy!
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over low-medium heat.
- Cut veggies in the order listed (onion, carrot, garlic and peppers). Add each type of veggie to the pan as they are cut. When they are all added, turn heat to low and let veggies sweat. You want them to be soft but not browned. Add herbs, if using.
- When rice is done, add it to the frying pan. Give it all a stir, taste and add salt and pepper to your liking. Serve immediately as rice will become mushy if you let it sit.
- Top with green onion.
Very nice rice dish! I made brown rice (too much, oops), used a new roasted habanero & garlic spice mix we found recently. Thanks Nif for posting this lovely recipe ! Made during ZWT9 for team Tasty Testers :)
Easy and tasty side dish! I used brown rice and green and red bell pepper. I don't care for raw onion so left off the green onion garnish. I used thyme for my herbs and it added a nice flavor to the dish. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT9, The Apron String Travelers