Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 min
This dessert can be filled with any type of berry mix. To help ensure you have a successful pav, add all the ingredients very slowly. The cook time does not include cooling in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Using a clean and perfectly dry bowl, beat egg whites. When soft peaks form, add sugar gradually.
- Beat until very stiff, continue beating and add salt, then vinegar, and finally vanilla a few drops at a time.
- Beat in the cornstarch and keep beating until the mixture is really glossy and will stand when cut with a knife.
- Cover a baking pan with a sheet of parchment paper, tip the pavlova mix into the center of the pan and spread it into around about 8 - 9 inches across, leave the center slightly caved inches
- Place on rack in center of oven and cook for one hour, then turn oven off and leave until oven is cold.
- Do not open the oven at all until it is cold. If you are unsure, it's better to leave in too long than open early.
- This pavlova has a slightly crisp outside and is like marshmallow on the inside. You may dress it several ways, spread with a layer of thick whipped cream that has had 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 teaspoon of sugar added or pastry cream. This is covered with sliced fruit, whatever is in season - strawberries, raspberries, sliced (peeled) kiwifruit the choice is yours.
I'd misplaced my old recipe so used this one. It is at least as good as any Pavlova I've ever made and maybe better. Our German exchange student had never seen a Pavlova and was totally delighted by it. I had to make it again before he went home! Easy, quick and impressive. I top it with whipped cream enhanced with vanilla, icing sugar and a little instant vanilla pudding powder to stabilize the cream. The instant pudding powder is a trick I learned from a little old lady from Europe who does that to the cream in her cream puffs. It stops the cream from "weeping" so you can make this a little ahead of time without it deteriorating. Thanks for submitting this recipe!
fabulous! only one problem, it looked so fabulous i dug inwith some fresh blueberries on top before it totally cooled.. but worht it :D
Very good. Easy to make. I filled it with whipped cream and chocolate covered strawberries (from Mothers day) Will make again. Made for ZWT 5.