Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
N.O. BBQ shrimp is not grilled or BBQ, it is a skillet dish in a buttery sauce. They serve it with heads-on shrimp that are not peeled and claim that the unpeeled shrimp impart a flavor that you won't get with peeled, which translates to the chefs are too lazy to peel the shrimp. Use chicken broth if it's all you can get, but FYI Knorr makes an excellent shrimp bouillion you can buy at Hispanic groceries that really rounds this dish out.
- 1 lb large shrimp, p&d
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup butter (not margarine)
- 5 tablespoons butter (not margarine)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup strong chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup shrimp stock
- 1⁄4 cup beer
- In a hot heavy skillet melt 1 stick butter and add garlic, Worcestershire and spices.
- Add shrimp and boil 2 minutes, shaking pan rather than stirring.
- Add remaining butter and stock and boil 2 more minutes.
- Add beer, flip or stir shrimp and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread for dipping.