My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and pick over the beans, removing loose skins or shriveled beans.
- 2Put in a large covered pot and cover with hot water.
- 3Soak over night if you want to cut down on cooking time.
- 4When beans start to simmer add ham bone, salt pork or bacon.
- 5Add more water as needed but only hot or boiling water.
- 6Never add cold water the beans will turn dark.
- 7If you cook without a lid the beans will also turn a dark color.
- 8When the skins are almost as tender as the inside of the beans, they are done.
- 9They should not be broken.
- 10Add salt and allow to stand before serving.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Mexico Pinto Beans
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.4
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 12.2 mg
- Sodium 330.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: