Southern Pinto Beans
This is the classic Southern method of cooking up a "mess of beans". If you don't like cooking without measurements then don't try this one. If you're adventuresome and like to cook like my grandmother, then you won't be disappointed. Yum.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 5mins
- 1 lb dry pinto beans
- 1 onion, large dice
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- 1 ham bone, left over with some ham still attached
- brown sugar
- Rinse beans. Place beans in pot and cover them three times higher with water. Bring to a rapid boil for five minutes covered. Turn off stove. DO NOT REMOVE LID.
- Let the pot set one hour.
- Turn burner back on to slightly more than a simmer. Add ham bone, onion, and pepper.
- Boil covered for two hours. Add more water if necessary.
- Remove ham bone. Remove all ham and place back into pot. Discard bone.
- Turn down heat to simmer and add approximately 2 tablespoons brown sugar, or more. Now let beans cook as long as needed.
- Season to taste.
- I serve with Baby's Jalapeño Cornbread, Recipe #221836.