Prep 30 mins
Cook 11 hrs
America's Test Kitchen
- 2 onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano (or 1 t. dried)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 cup minute tapioca
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (4 lb) boneless pork butt, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Microwave onions, chili powder, oil, garlic, tomato paste, and oregano in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir broth, coffee, tapioca, chipotles, sugar, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- Season pork with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until pork is tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- Let chili settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Stir in raisins and let sit until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice.
- Season with salt, pepper, additional brown sugar, lime juice to taste and serve.