11 hrs 30 mins
America's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano (or 1 t. dried)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup minute tapioca
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (4 lb) boneless pork butt, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1Microwave onions, chili powder, oil, garlic, tomato paste, and oregano in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- 2Stir broth, coffee, tapioca, chipotles, sugar, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- 3Season pork with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker.
- 4Cover and cook until pork is tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- 5Let chili settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- 6Discard bay leaves.
- 7Stir in raisins and let sit until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- 8Stir in cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice.
- 9Season with salt, pepper, additional brown sugar, lime juice to taste and serve.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Mexican Red Pork Chili
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 631.2
- Calories from Fat 360
- Total Fat 40.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 289.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 45.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo