Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
From: The All New Good Housekeeping Cookbook
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 serrano chilies or 3 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 lbs tomatillos, husked, rinsedl, and cut quarters
- 4 poblano chiles or 2 green peppers, roasted, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15 1/4-16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- sour cream (optional)
- flour tortilla, warmed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Chop cilantro leaves and stems, 1/2 cup. Reserve a 1/4 cup for garnish.
- Mash chopped garlic and salt, to paste, put into 5-quart Dutch oven.
- Add pork,onions,serranos,cilantro leaves and stems, cumin,cayenne pepper; toss to combine.
- Cover and bake 1 hour.
- After an hour, stir in tomatillos and roasted poblanos.
- Cover and bake until pork is tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours more.
- Skim off fat and discard.
- Stir in corn and heat thourgh.
- Sprinkle with reserved cilantro and serve with sour cream and tortillas.