Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Just lovely on a cold day. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. A nice variation is to add some ginger root to the boiling water.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons black tea
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice (fresh is best)
- 2 quarts water, boiling
- Boil water and sugar together for 5 minutes; add tea, mint and allspice.
- Cover and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain, add fruit juices, boiling water and bring to a boil.
On the whole I enjoyed this a lot. For me the mint in this combo didn't work quite as well as I had hoped. Loved the allspice though. I made this last night to be enjoyed by the family for "Movie Night". It was a very nice change from the coffee/cocoa that we usually have. Made for Comfort Cafe, Jan 09.