Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Hearty, low-fat pumpkin soup cooked with spices, brown sugar and orange juice.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 1⁄2 cups homemade chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 2⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, without crusts
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic and gently fry 4 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin; cover and cook gently for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the chicken stock, orange juice and brown sugar.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until the pumpkin has softened.
- Meanwhile, make the croutons.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, cut the whole wheat bread sliced into cubes and fry gently until just brown - add the sunflower seeds and fry for an additional 1 to 2 minutes; drain the croutons and sunflower seed on a papper towel.
- Return to soup.
- Pour only half of the soup mixture into a blender or food processor and process until smooth; return soup to the saucepan.
- Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, if desired and heat through.
- Serve the soup hot garnished with a few of the croutons and sunflower seeds sprinkled over the top.