Recipe by mollypaul
A lovely, spicy, gluten-free dessert just perfect with good vanilla ice cream. Will warm up the gloomiest day.
- 1 1⁄2 quarts milk, divided
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup light molasses (dark molasses is OK if you prefer a stronger molasses flavor)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Scald 1 quart milk in a large, heavy saucepan (take care not to scorch).
- Combine the cornmeal with 1/2 milk and stir into the hot, scalded milk.
- Cook, uncovered over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- Stir in molasses, sugar, ginger and salt.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for one hour.
- Stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups milk and continue to bake for another 1 1/2 hours. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.