Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A rich flavored curry-easy to make and not expensive. Can be thrown together at the last minute, a favorite also with vegetarians.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 -2 mild green chili
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, fresh grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup peas
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup hot water
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry onion until soft and golden. Stir in pepper, chili, garlic, ginger, turmeric and salt. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes then add the potatoes; stir.
- Add the remaining ingredients and hot water. Simmer until vegetables are cooked, thicken if necessary.
- Serve with rice and accompaniments.
This was good, but not great. It was simple to make and we finished it and all of our leftovers but found it lacking... something. It was just very plain, and I was expecting more complexity. Won't make again, but I don't regret making it.
We very much enjoyed this, though I did use less oil and salt and more veggies and ginger. Like our favorite Indian dish, aloo mutter.
This is a great and easy curry! I used a whole large jalapeno for the chili pepper and it was great with the potatoes, just added a mellow heat. This smelled great cooking and had a beautiful color. Hearty, flavorful, and quick to prepare - loved this - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for the Best of 2012 event, recommended by rpgaymer