Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
The original version of this, and 'Nell's Corn Casserole I' were given to us by our neighbor, Nell Haberstick, now pushing 92 years old, who acts and almost looks 25 years younger... we should all be so lucky. She brought them to neighborhood alley parties.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers, drained (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups drained canned corn or 2 cups thawed frozen corn
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 package Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Saute onions and green pepper in butter until softened.
- Add chili peppers, if using, season to taste with salt and pepper, and allow to cool.
- Fold corn and onion mixture into eggs.
- Stir in corn bread mix, sour cream, and grated cheese.
- Turn into a 9" square baking dish, and bake at 375 degrees F for about 40 minutes.