I would have to say that these biscuits are neck and neck with my daddy's biscuit recipe. My grandmother started making these when I was about 10 and I think that is where I gained that first 10 extra pounds....not that I blame her...but dang these are hard to stop eating! THIS DOUGH CAN BE KEPT IN THE REFRIGERATOR FOR UP TO ONE WEEK
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside.
- combine all dry ingredients and cut shortening into dry mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add the yeast mixture and buttermilk to the dry mixture and mix well.
- Turn this mixture out onto a floured surface and knead for one minute.
- Roll or pat out and cut into biscuits.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
- THIS DOUGH CAN BE KEPT IN THE REFRIGERATOR FOR UP TO ONE WEEK.
I can't believe I haven't reviewed these yet! I've been making them about once a month now (gotta watch that weight!!! ;) They are so good and remind me of my Great- Grandma's biscuits. YUMMMMM....thanks for posting this Sherrybeth! It's so worth the effort--especially if you were raised on canned or bisquick biscuits like my husband. Nothing wrong with that, but he had NO idea!
Thanks for a wonderful recipe! I waited to rate this until I had used the dough I had refrigerated 5 days ago to see how it baked...You were RIGHT! I kneaded it a few minutes to wake up the yeast after being chilled for so long, then let the biscuits rest for about 30 minutes before baking. They were as good or better than the first day's biscuits. This is indeed a keeper and I know what you mean about gaining weight..it was hard to keep that dough in the cooler as long as I did! YUM!
I made 1/2 the recipe and they were very dense. I am not rating as I think my yeast is no longer good and that is what caused the problem. Also not sure if this is correct, but I mixed 1 1/8 tsp yeast with 1/2 tablespoon water and it turned into a paste, so never saw the foaming I have seen for other yeast recipes. These are a sweet type biscuit and would be great to use for a shortcake recipe. Thanks for sharing Sherrybeth and congrats on your football pool win.