Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
Pat and Gina Neely and their family own and operate some of Tennessee's best - and devilishly delicious - barbecue restaurants. But when they are relaxing at home in Memphis, they love to create tasty dishes their whole family can enjoy. Now they're ready to share secrets from their famous restaurant dishes. Here is the recipe for their Barbecue Chicken. Courtesy of Food Network. This recipe is absolutely WONDERFUL! I made it for 4th of July and it went over BIG!!! When grilling make sure you keep your heat low, as the sugar can char while cooking. Make sure you use tongs so you don't puncture your meat while turning. Also, make sure you soak your wood in water for 1/2 hr. before putting in your smoker or grill so it won't burn. Preparation time does NOT include marinating time.
Top Review by JuJuBeJen
I made this for my DS's when they requested it after watching them make it on the Food Network. It was excellent and they boys loved it as much as DH and I did! I can see why people from miles around come to their restaurant to have this delicious chicken! Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you, it only takes a few minutes to throw together and the results are worth every minute of your time, believe me!
- 2 whole chickens, halved lengthwise (or 4 whole bone-in chicken breasts)
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian dressing, recipe below
- 1⁄4 cup neelys barbecue seasoning, recipe below
- 1 cup neelys barbecue sauce, recipe below
Neely Italian Dressing
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons neelys barbecue seasoning
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup canola oil
- salt and pepper
Neelys BBQ Seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups paprika
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 3⁄4 tablespoons onion powder
Neelys BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Barbecue Chicken:.
- Rinse chicken halves in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken in a large bowl or baking dish, coat with Italian dressing and evenly season with Neelys Seasoning. For best results, allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- If Cooking Inside:.
- Take the chicken out of the refrigerator and brush chicken with Neelys Barbeque Sauce.
- Place into a preheated 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes.
- If Grilling Outside:.
- Thirty minutes before you're ready to cook, take the chicken out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature. Preheat the grill to a medium temperature, about 275 degrees F preferably over hickory and charcoal.
- Place the chicken halves on grill, meat side down. Cover grill and cook for about 50 minutes. Flip chicken over and let it brown until the chicken becomes golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. The wing and the drumstick should become very tender and will easily pull away at the joints. Brush the chicken with Neelys Barbecue sauce during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Neelys Italian Dressing:.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, except the oil and salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Makes 1 1/2 cups.
- Neelys Barbecue Seasoning:.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir until combined. Keep in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Neelys Barbecue Sauce:.
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Makes 3 1/2 cups.