A real taste of the Canadian North. Take this recipe, and the ingredients, with you the next time you go camping!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In the bowl, mix the flour and lard together by hand, and then add the baking powder, salt and the currants, raisins or sultanas.
- 2Next, add the water and work the ingredients into a dough.
- 3Now, you have two options: the camp fire or the oven.
- 4To cook over a camp fire, divide the dough into four lumps and firmly wrap each lump around the end of a four foot stick and prop securely over the fire until golden brown.
- 5To cook in an oven, spread the dough out into a 16" square cake pan.
- 6Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Native Cree Bannock Bread
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 676.9
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 24.3 mg
- Sodium 1288.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 24.4 g
- Protein 11.1 g