1/2 Photos of Nasi Goreng
This recipe is one of my adopted recipes. I finally made it and it is really a full flavored dish. It does require a lot of prep but is so worth it. The intro from the psoting chef: "This is one of the most popular and well known Indonesian rice dishes. I have tried many versions and I always come back to this one. Chicken can be substituted for the shrimp."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/2 cup green onion, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons grated carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons crushed coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 1 cup basmati rice (Can be done a day ahead) or 1 cup jasmine rice, cooked and cooled (Can be done a day ahead)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1Saute bacon, crumble and set aside.
- 2To reserved bacon fat, add red onion, celery, green onions, carrot, garlic and mushrooms- saute until tender.
- 3Add soy sauce, fish sauce, catsup, brown sugar, coriander seeds, white pepper, curry powder and sambal oelek- saute 1-2 minutes to let flavors develop.
- 4Mix in cooled cooked rice- put pan aside and keep warm.
- 5In another pan saute shrimp in 1 tbl oil, salt and pepper to taste, mix into rice.
- 6In the same pan, add 1 tbl oil, add beaten eggs and cook to desired degree of doneness, Turn out egg like a crepe, cut into thin strips and reserve.
- 7Heat rice mixture through, mixing until sufficiently hot, put rice on plates, sprinkle with bacon bits, green onion, cilantro and egg strips.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nasi Goreng
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.1
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 337.4 mg
- Sodium 2495.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 37.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: