Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is actually a variation on Racheal Rays Po Boy sandwiches but done our way. Using french bread loaves makes it an easy way to serve a crowd. The Sammi Sauce recipe can be found in our cookbook and adds just the right touch to these very delicious sandwiches!
- canola oil (for frying)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, for shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (clerici ranch grind is best)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 loaves French bread (the long thcik loaves about 14-inch long by 4 inches wide)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (mix in juice of one lime if desired)
- Preheat your deep fryer to about 375 degrees adding oil to the maximum level. You can also heat about one quart of oil to a dutch oven if you don't have a deep fryer).
- Have ready a metal cake rack over a cookie sheet to drain the shrimp on.
- Beat egg and milk together. Salt shrimp then soak in milk batter.
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal and seasonings in a deep glass pie plate.
- Using tongs, coat about 8 shrimp at a time but leave them in the pie plate.
- Add breaded shrimp to the hot oil and fry them for only a couple of minutes until golden brown. Set aside on the draining rack and fry the rest of the shrimp in batches.
- Slice the bread loaves in half lengthwise and spread the cut sides with the mayonaise. Grill these loaves for a couple of minutes under the broiler until browned.
- Spread the bread with a layer of Sammi Sauce and divide the shrimp between the tow sandwiches. Slice into pieces and serve!
Sammi Sauce is mentioned in the instructions but not in the ingredients. What is Sammi Sauce????