Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nana made this for holiday dinners. It is very easy to do and my boys argue on who has had the most. Simple to do.
- 1 cup milk, warmed to 105 to 115 degrees
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melt 1/2 cup butter and add to milk.
- Stir in sugar, salt and yeast until dissolved.
- Place flour in large bowl.
- Make a well and pour in liquid.
- Stir until blended.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, 1 hour or longer.
- Turn dough on floured surface and roll until 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into 3 inch squares.
- Dip each square in remaining melted butter.
- Layer squares in 10-inch tube pan.
- Let rise until doubled.
- Bake 30-40 minutes at 350°F.
This is a super easy, super buttery recipe. Usually Buddha does all our baking, but being the 'butterholic' that I am, I just had to try my luck at it with this recipe. I too, had to knead the bread well rather than 'stir until blended' but really didn't see it as a problem. I used buttermilk instead of regular milk and what I got was a wonderful ring of sweet and buttery bread slices! This recipe is wonderful because you can have fresh rolls with the butter already in them and you no longer have to let your meal get cold while you butter your bread. :) This would be great bread for breakfast (with jam on it, yummy) or dinner with a nice soup, stew, steak, or just about anything. Tell your Nana a little Birdie from Chattanooga says "Thank You!"
Delicious and EASY!! I love this recipe! The second time I made this I added some garlic to the flour before mixing in the liquid. I also sprinkled parmesan (for spaghetti) in the pan before adding the first layer of dough, then again between the layers. My oh my, DELICIOUS!!!
Have only made a recipe like this once or twice before, & this one tops whatever went before ~ REALLY OUTSTANDING! I did the SweetsLady thing & rolled bits of dough into balls! Had a great time making this very tasty bread! Will definitely be another time with this on my table! Thanks for posting it! [Made & reviewed as a recipenapped bonus in Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #14, Mar 08]