This is my Nana's recipe, which I'm sure came from her Nana. My Mom added the cinnamon topping, and I like it that way. It is simple and good.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour an 8" or 9" cake pan.
- Combine the topping ingredients (1-1/2 Tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon) in a small bowl. Set aside and reserve for sprinkling on top of batter.
- Combine the dry ingredients for the cake in a bowl.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat together egg, shortening and vanilla. Gradually beat in dry ingredients; then beat in sour cream or sour milk.
- Pour into prepared cake pan. Sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture evenly over top of batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 to 45 minutes.
I made this over the weekend and just loved how simple it was! I cooked it in a bundt pan for 45 minutes. I will reduce the cooking time next time because it was a little too done, but we still ate all of it, it was so good! :) Thanks for sharing!
Unbelievably perfect coffee cake. Baked for me in 35 minutes. I used a non-stick spray instead of greasing and flouring and had no problems at all with sticking in the pan. Even doubled the recipe and made a 9x13" pan of the cake. I did add about a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the batter as we love that spice but outside of that followed the directions exclusively. My DD came home from school and dove right in! 5***** all the way for sure! Tagged in Chef Alphabet Soup game today. Keeper for my files.
Simplicity at it's best -- phenomenal taste for such minimal effort! My cake baked up in about 30 minutes with no problems. Although I greased and floured the pan, I had a little trouble with the cake sticking, so next time I will probably line the bottom with parchment/wax paper (who wants to waste a crumb of this divine cake?! ;)). Thank you so much for sharing your Nana's recipe; I will be making this again and again!