Recipe by *Parsley*
This is my Nana's recipe, which I'm sure came from her Nana. My Mom added the cinnamon topping, and I like it that way. It is simple and good.
Top Review by alwayshappy
I made this over the weekend and just loved how simple it was! I cooked it in a bundt pan for 45 minutes. I will reduce the cooking time next time because it was a little too done, but we still ate all of it, it was so good! :) Thanks for sharing!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup sour milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour an 8" or 9" cake pan.
- Combine the topping ingredients (1-1/2 Tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon) in a small bowl. Set aside and reserve for sprinkling on top of batter.
- Combine the dry ingredients for the cake in a bowl.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat together egg, shortening and vanilla. Gradually beat in dry ingredients; then beat in sour cream or sour milk.
- Pour into prepared cake pan. Sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture evenly over top of batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 to 45 minutes.