Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are an unbaked, 3-layer cookie with a graham cracker and coconut base, a white, buttery filling and chocolate icing.
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter, soft
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Measure crumbs, coconut and nuts into a bowl. Blend and reserve.
- Heat butter and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in small saucepan until butter is melted. Stir in cocoa. Mixture should be smooth and sugar dissolved. Blend in egg and vanilla, mixing well.
- Combine mixture with crumb mixture. Turn into a lightly oiled (not greased) 8-inch square cake pan. Press firmly to make a smooth surface. Place into freezer while preparing the next layer.
- Blend the 1/4 cup soft butter, the powdered sugar and hot water until mixture is smooth and well combined. Spread over chocolate layer, smoothing top.
- Place chocolate in top of a double boiler. Place over hot water. Stir until melted. Spread chocolate over the top of the cookie. Cover and chill about 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. cut into 16 bars.
- TIPS: If desired, you may flavor the powdered sugar layer with nut- or fruit-flavored liqueur, such as curacao, cointreau, banana, coconut or almond.