Recipe by Donna
I have made my sauce this way for years. It is very easy and I think really good. The Italian dressing mix is the key--the longer this simmers the better it is, but it can be made quickly too. I have also made it in the crock pot!
Top Review by Michelle S.
This is a VERY good pasta sauce! Very easy to throw together. I put it all in the crockpot and cooked on low for 8 hours. A great meal to come home to! I added italian sauages for another meal of bombers and was very happy I did. I will make this again!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or more)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (2/3 ounce) envelopezesty Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 (4 ounce) jar mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (32 ounce) boxfrozen italian meatballs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- garlic powder
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In olive oil sauté onion, red pepper and garlic till soft.
- Add Italian dressing mix; stir.
- Add cans of tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes.
- Stir in basil and pepper and garlic powder.
- Let simmer--the longer the better stirring often.
- Towards the end, add the meatballs and simmer till they are done.
- Stir in mushrooms.