Unlike most recipes for latkes, these contain no flour or meal, and they contain more eggs. They are thin and crisp. These are made almost exactly like My Yam Latkes (Gluten Free). Sometimes when I want these spicy, I will add ground cumin and coriander to the batter (although that is not "traditional" for potato latkes).
My Private Note
small p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel the potato (optional). Use the coarse section of a grater to grate the potato into a bowl.
- 2Take a small handful of grated potato and squeeze it hard, over the sink, to get rid of any excess liquid or moisture. Repeat until all the potato pulp has been squeezed.
- 3Return the grated potato to the bowl.
- 4Add onion and pepper to taste.
- 5Add 1 whole egg and mix to blend. If the mixture looks a little dry, add one more egg yolk (save the egg white for another use). It should look creamy, like cole slaw, but it should not be dripping with egg liquid.
- 6Heat a large skillet and add enough oil to cover the bottom. When oil is hot but not smoking, drop a heaping forkful of the mixture into the skillet and immediately flatten it with the fork.
- 7Repeat until all the mixture is used. It’s OK if the pancakes are touching in the skillet.
- 8Sauté until golden brown (or brown if you prefer) and crispy; flip and fry on other side. Regulate heat so that oil does not smoke, and add more oil if necessary.
- 9Drain on paper towels if desired. Salt to taste.
- 11It’s best not to re-use the oil for a second batch because the oil develops an unpleasant odor. If you want to double this recipe, It’s best to use two separate skillets, or wash and dry the skillet after use.
- 12You can substitute onion powder to taste for the fresh onion.
- 13Good with sour cream or applesauce or a thick, plain yogurt.
Browse Our Top Low Sat. Fat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Sat. Fat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Potato Latkes (Gluten Free)
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.9
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 82.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 10.6 g