Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I began making these about 22 years ago when a friend in nursing school with me used to feed me regularly and everyone loved her stuffed peppers. Prior to that the taste of a cooked green pepper made me RUN! I have, over the years, adapted her recipe into something entirely different though very loveable! You can use red peppers as well though my favorite is green. These are a comfort staple for me and very nutritious. They are wonderful to make and freeze as well. The chili sauce called for is the regular bottled type used often to make cocktail meatballs. I am posting this as my mother asked me for my recipe tonight. So mom, just hang on until it is posted! c./2007
- Wash peppers, cut tops off and remove core. Drain and chop stewed tomatoes, reserving liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, rice, onion, garlic, 1/2 of the chopped stewed drained tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Stuff peppers with this mixture and sit in the crockpot standing up. Trim bottoms of any especially wonky peppers though they should stand and up packed nicely.
- Combine tomato soup, chili sauce, the rest of the chopped tomatoes and reserved stewed tomato liquid. Check the consistency as you may not need all of the reserved tomato liquid.
- Pour sauce over peppers.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or until tender. This can take less or more time as crockpots differ wildly.
Excellent even without the chili sauce. I will definately make them again and use the chili sauce next time. I love things that can be made in the crockpot.
Oh my, these are EXCELLENT, not only because of the taste, but also because they can be made in the crockpot...my #1 kitchen appliance, especially during the hot summer months here in GA. Even my daughter, who hates bell peppers couldn't stop raving about these while she gobbled down two of them!
FANTASTIC! I used a whole uncle bens long grain and wild rice box (without the seasoning packet) and instead of the soup, I used canned tomato sauce and I used the recipe for the substitution for chili sauce. My husband said this was his absolutely favorite thing I have ever cooked for him and we have been together for 17 years.