Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
none of the others really seem like they have the things i like, or have too many of things i don't like. to me minestrone should be loaded up with veggies and herbs and pasta, not thin or watery or mostly beans. presumably you could add whatever veggies you like to this but this is how i make it.
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes (chopped or cubed type)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup leek, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, cubed
- 300 g frozen leaf spinach, thawed (about 1 cup drained)
- 2 cups pasta, whatever small shapes you like
- 1 medium potato, cut in 1/2 inch cubes (not baking potatoes! they take too long to cook!)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped (or orange, or yellow)
- 1⁄2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- salt and pepper
- add all but pasta to a big pot (no, not that one, i said a BIG pot) and bring to a boil, add more water or broth if needed.
- simmer till veggies are soft, add pasta and continue cooking till pasta is done and flavors are combined. may need more water at this point too.
- may want to under-cook the pasta if you're going to freeze and re-heat later. serve with buttered bread and cheese.