Recipe by Um Safia
A satisfying chicken dish with a mediterranean flavour. Very easy to prepare and ready in less than 90 minutes. Serve with fresh crusty bread, pasta or salad for a hearty meal.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
This is indeed very easy to prepare, a little initial preparation, then everything goes into the oven and looks after itself. This gave me a lovely rich casserole, redolent with the flavours of tomatoes and fresh herbs, and a pleasant piquancy from the sausage and the bell pepper. The chicken was tender, as was the pepper, and the olives are a marvellous addition. I served this with Recipe #240456 for a delicious family supper, thank you, Um Safia! I would say it is a generous 4 servings, I served four adults, and have at least another two, even three portions, left over! Made for Ramadan Tag Game, August 2009 NA*ME
- 4 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 75 g sliced spicy sausage (Mergez etc.)
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 400 g of chopped plum tomatoes
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 300 ml hot chicken stock
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 75 g pitted black olives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 160c/gas3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan (preferably non stick). Seal the chicken on both sides - it will turn white. Place in casserole dish.
- Add the megez, pepper and garlic to the pan and cook for a few minutes, keep stirring.
- Add the tomatoes and the stock then bring to the boil.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the chicken, cover with a tight fitting lid and place in the oven to cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the casserole and take out the chicken. Blend the cornflour with 1 tbsp cold water to form paste, add 2tbsp of the gravy to the cornflour and stir into the casserole. Heat gently on the stove top, stirring well until slightly thickened or return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the casserole dish and add the olives. Remove rosemary sprigs before serving.