Recipe by WI Cheesehead
I like to make this sauce and add the meat later, when we make the spaghetti, but you can add it in when making the sauce. Without the meat it is lowfat. It makes enough for 3 to 4 meals. I use dried minced onions, but you could use a fresh and a little bit more oil. I've also used garlic powder for the cloves to save time (or when I'm lazy!)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey (optional) or 1 lb lean ground beef (optional)
- 32 ounces no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 8 ounces red wine
- 24 ounces water (or use all water and no wine)
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 -4 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (more less to your taste)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt or 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (see note)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In large heavy bottomed pan, heat oil and saute garlic until golden (1 minute or so).
- If using meat, add to pot and cook until brown.
- Add all remaining ingredients, stirring thoroughly.
- Bring to boil; turn down to simmer and cook 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
- NOTE: I've also used Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle instead of the basil, oregano and onion powder. Use 4-5 teaspoons per recipe.