Recipe by aHardDaysNight
Italian flavors blend in a creamy, satisfying soup that has potatoes, italian sausage, and kale. I like a kick, so I use spicy sausage and add crushed red pepper flakes. The heavy cream really pulls this soup together and makes it restaurant-worthy! Don't forget a fresh, crusty loaf of bread for dipping.
Top Review by savvybranding
This soup turned out fantastic. I did a few substitutions to make it a lighter dish. For example I used turkey bacon and I did not put the heavy cream in. It maintained the flavor but removing the heavy cream cut down on the calories.
- 1 lb ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 medium white onions, diced
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits (I use Hormel brand)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 cups water
- 5 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder (to taste)
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 6 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 bunch kale, discard center stalks and coarsely chop greens (cavolo riccio)
- 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley or 1 bunch chives, chopped for garnish
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute ground spicy italian sausage and crushed red pepper flakes in 1 T olive oil. (I use 8 quart stock pot.) Drain fat and move mixture into bowl, set aside.
- In same pan, add 1 T olive oil and saute white onions, garlic, bacon bits, and potatoes until onions are soft.
- Add water and chicken boullion powder and stir thoroughly. Bring to a gentle boil and continue cooking until potatoes are soft, 20-30 minute.
- Turn off heat, immediately add kale, sausage and heavy cream. Stir together.
- Garnish with chopped italian parsley or chives, serve hot with slices of bread.