Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana
photo by jellygirl
- Ready In:
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to your liking)
- 3 large russet potatoes, chunked (peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups kale or 3 cups swiss chard, chopped
- 2 (32 ounce) boxes chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 liberal sprinkling white pepper
- Sautee Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in pot. Drain excess fat, set aside.
- In the same pan, sautee bacon. When about half way cooked add the onions and garlic. Sautee for approximately 15 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the chicken stock and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and cook until soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and the cooked sausage and cook until heated through. Add white pepper to taste.
- Add kale just before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Previous review posted before I tried the recipe should be deleted. Eight cups of chicken stock and two cups of water, plus the heavy cream, make this soup a bit thin. Needed to add a cornstarch (or Arrowroot) slurry. which most recipes include. The pictured soup doesn't look all that thin, so maybe it was thickened with the slurry?