Recipe by Kirste
This recipe makes very good savory scones or even biscuits (minus the sugar). You can add dried fruit, nuts, chocolate, orange zest, just about anything.
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk (or half & half)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in Crisco with a knife or pastry blender.
- Combine egg and milk.
- Mix egg mixture into flour mixture until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly.
- Pat dough into a circle 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into 8 wedges and place onto baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden.