Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe makes very good savory scones or even biscuits (minus the sugar). You can add dried fruit, nuts, chocolate, orange zest, just about anything.
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk (or half & half)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in Crisco with a knife or pastry blender.
- Combine egg and milk.
- Mix egg mixture into flour mixture until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly.
- Pat dough into a circle 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into 8 wedges and place onto baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden.