Recipe by City_Gurl
An amazing breakfast for a special occasion! I saw this on a cooking show and my Husband ran out the following weekend to buy all the ingredients and made it for me. That was the first time in 9 years he's made me breakfast.....in one word "YUMMY"
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon good honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 loaf challah (egg bread)
- unsalted butter
- vegetable oil
- pure maple syrup
- good raspberry preserves (optional)
- sifted confectioners' sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, orange zest, vanilla, honey and salt.
- Slice the challah in 3/4-inch thick slices.
- Soak as many slices in the egg mixture as possible for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a very large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the soaked bread and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
- Place the cooked French toast on a sheet pan and keep it warm in the oven.
- Fry the remaining soaked bread slices, adding butter and oil as needed, until it's all cooked.
- Serve hot with maple syrup, raspberry preserves, and/or confectioners' sugar.