Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
An amazing breakfast for a special occasion! I saw this on a cooking show and my Husband ran out the following weekend to buy all the ingredients and made it for me. That was the first time in 9 years he's made me breakfast.....in one word "YUMMY"
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon good honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 loaf challah (egg bread)
- unsalted butter
- vegetable oil
- pure maple syrup
- good raspberry preserves (optional)
- sifted confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, orange zest, vanilla, honey and salt.
- Slice the challah in 3/4-inch thick slices.
- Soak as many slices in the egg mixture as possible for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a very large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the soaked bread and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
- Place the cooked French toast on a sheet pan and keep it warm in the oven.
- Fry the remaining soaked bread slices, adding butter and oil as needed, until it's all cooked.
- Serve hot with maple syrup, raspberry preserves, and/or confectioners' sugar.
So tasty mmmmmmmmm my kid asked double portion!
This was a delicious french toast! I made Bread Machine Honey Whole Wheat Challah yesterday so I could make this for breakfast today. Followed as directed, using 2% milk, a full Tablespoon of orange zest & Rata flower honey from New Zealand. Very easy recipe. Thanks for sharing, City_Gurl! Made & enjoyed for Fall 2009 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=310505