Prep 2 mins
Cook 4 mins
Don't knock it till you try it! This is extremely low cal. If you use fat free cottage cheese you get 40 calories for 1/4 cup. Boullion cube is 5 calories and 3 cups of lettuce is under 20 calories. So the whole things is less than 65 calories but tastes rich and creamy.
- 3 cups lettuce (shredded)
- 4 g chicken bouillon cubes or 4 g vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 garlic clove
- ground pepper (to taste)
- Place clove of garlic into food processor, add fresh shredded lettuce and puree. The leaves of lettuce will not cut up too well but don't worry about it.
- Place the lettuce and garlic into a microwave-safe bowl and add a crushed boullion cube. Add 1/4 cup water. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Puree mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup cottage cheese. Don't puree if you like the curd. Add more water if its too thick for your taste.
- Microwave on high for 2 more minutes.
- Season with ground black pepper and any other spices you wish.
You're right... don't knock it till you try it. It's actually surprisingly good. I changed the amounts a bit... after chopping up 3 cups of lettuce, I decided just to chop the rest of the head and toss the whole thing in the food processor. I therefore eyeballed everything else & used about a cup and a half of cottage cheese and 4 garlic cloves. I must admit, next time I make this, I'll probably just use 2 cloves... the way I made it was a bit too garlicky :-) This is very light, but still warm and satisfying. Who'd have thought?! Good job on this creation... I'll make it again!
Very good, and such a beautiful color. I liked it chilled, too.