Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have been asked to make this every year at Thanksgiving. Thought I would share my way of making banana pudding.
- 1 (5 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 (11 ounce) boxnabsico vanilla wafers
- 5 -6 vine ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- In a large mixing bowl beat together vanilla pudding mix and milk for 2-3 minutes until it begins to thicken. Blend in the sweetened condensed milk and mix until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract and fold in the thawed Cool Whip.
- In a 13x9x2 glass dish layer the bottom with Nilla wafers, add a layer of sliced bananas over top of wafers. Pour enough pudding mixture over top of the first layer of wafers and bananas to cover,leaving some pudding for more layers.
- Repeat layers of wafers,bananas and pudding.
- End with a few wafers on top.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for several hours.
I like this recipe and used it as a guide. As for instant pudding, I used one packet of Jell-O's Simply Good Vanilla Bean. I also made my own whipped cream in place of Cool Whip --with 8oz heavy whipping cream, 2 Tbsp sugar and splash of vanilla -- cold bowl and balloon whisk -- very easy and isn't 15 ingredients! I followed the procedure and let it chill over night. I just tasted it and I feel it is sickeningly sweet. I wish I had used just half the can of sweetened condensed milk. As for texture, it is pudding-like (not soupy at all) and quite nice. Even with less condensed milk, I think the texture will still be great. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
This is a great banana pudding! Everyone loved it, I think it is a little too sweet with the sweetened condensed milk. I used banana pudding instead of vanilla.
Really good and very easy. It's like my go to recipe with the addition of the sweetened condensed milk. Mine did not firm up well - no soupy but definitely does not look like the photos. Regardless, it's pudding so it's all good!! Next time I will add more Nilla wafers to make it stand up a bit more. By accident I picked up a box of the little wafers rather than the normal size. That may have been the issue with consistency.