1/1 Photo of My Beef Burgundy
3 hrs 25 mins
Sassy Syrah's Note:
This is a great winter dish. I find that it is very rich but feels nourishing, and of course means you can drink the rest of the bottle. If by chance, you cannot get button mushrooms or they are too expensive, simply substitute big field mushrooms but quarter them, so they are about the same size as buttons.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 500 g gravy beef
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 slice bacon, chopped roughly
- 8 pickling onions, peeled and left whole
- 350 g button mushrooms, whole or cut in half if they are large
- 125 ml tomato paste
- 250 ml red wine (whatever you prefer, I usually use a blend)
- 125 ml beef stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1First prepare the beef, cut any excess fat off and cut into roughly 2cm cubes.
- 2Melt one tablespoon of the butter and olive oil over a fairly high heat.
- 3Saute the meat in batches, constantly moving it around the pan.
- 4It should be well and truly sealed but not cooked through.
- 5Remove and drain on paper towels.
- 6Repeat with remaining beef, using an additional tablespoon of butter and oil if you need it.
- 7Add the last tablespoons of oil and butter to the pan with the mushrooms, onions, bacon, garlic and thyme.
- 8Stir until the onions gain a little colour.
- 9Add the liquids and tomato paste to the pan, scrape up all the black bits.
- 10Now stir in the meat.
- 11Lightly season.
- 12(you may need to readjust this at the end) Turn the heat down to low and simmer covered for two to three hours.
- 13Towards the end you may wish to remove the lid to thicken up the sauce.
- 14(Alternatively you could use the slow cooker at this point, but you'd have two things to wash up) I serve this with bread or pasta, it really depends but I prefer fresh French bread with this.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Beef Burgundy
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 719.6
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 132.3 mg
- Sodium 746.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 19.9 g
- Protein 45.5 g