Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
In answer to a query on the threads
- 45 g butter
- 45 g plain flour
- 600 ml milk
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the flour to make smooth, soft paste (called a'roux' in French) Put back on low heat and cook the flour for about 1 minute.
- Add about 1/4 of the milk and mix it in well with a whisk.
- When it is smooth mix in the remaining milk.
- Set the pan over moderately hot heat and bring to the boil;, whisking constantly.
- When the sauce bubbles and starts to thicken, reduce heat to very low, add dijon and sugar, stir in well, simmer for 5 minutes whisking well from time to time.
- Add the grated nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste.