Source: San Antonio Express News. The sauce is out of this world
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups live mussels
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons Pernod (licorice-flavored liqueur from France)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 3/4 cup lemon butter sauce
Lemon Butter Sauce
- 1----LemonButter Sauce----.
- 2To clarify butter: melt ½ stick butter over low heat.
- 3When melted, remove from heat and set aside for several minutes to allow the milk solids to settle to the bottom.
- 4Skim the clear (clarified) butter from the top and discard sediment.
- 5(This can be done ahead.) To make sauce: Heat clarified butter, add onion and garlic and sauté until transparent.
- 6Add lemon juice and white wine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Simmer 2 to 3 minutes to reduce liquid.
- 8Remove from heat and swirl in cold butter until sauce is smooth and emulsified.
- 10Soak mussels in cold water for several minutes, then scrub with a stiff brush and remove"beard" (the little tuft of fibers protruding from the shell), either with a sharp knife or by pulling on it with a damp cloth.
- 11Rinse mussels again in cold water.
- 12Heat olive oil in a 10-inch skillet; add mussels.
- 13Cover with another 10-inch skillet or lid and cook until shells begin to open, about 2 minutes.
- 14Remove top and add onion and garlic and toss.
- 15Cover pan again and cook for 1 minute.
- 16Remove top and add Pernod, basil, lemon juice and lemon butter sauce.
- 17Return to heat for 30 to 45 seconds with top off skillet.
- 18Discard any mussels that did not open.
- 19Serve in a deep bowl.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mussels in White Wine Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (450 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 638.3
- Calories from Fat 391
- Total Fat 43.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 145.0 mg
- Sodium 966.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 37.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemon butter sauce