Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great way to eat mussels
- 1 kg mussels
- 750 g pipis
- 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar, chopped
- sesame oil
- 2 -3 cm knobs fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch spring onion, washed and sliced into 5 cm lengths
- 1⁄2 bunch coriander sprig, picked
- white pepper
- Heat a wok and add about a centimetre of water to cover the bottom.
- Add the mussels and pipis and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Steam for a few minutes and remove shellfish to a bowl as they open.
- With all mussels and pipis out of the wok, add the oyster sauce, palm sugar, a few drops of sesame oil, ginger and spring onions.
- Cook for a few minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the flavours have mingled.
- Check the sauce for saltiness, adding more oyster sauce or, if too salty, a little water.
- Toss the mussels and pipis back in the wok and add the coriander and a sprinkle of pepper.
- Serve in individual bowls with rice or fine egg noodles.
Very good! The sauce is quite rich and goes really well with rice. I found it a bit salty so added water as you suggested, and also just a little cornflour to thicken the sauce.