Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nice creamy sauce with wonderful flavor, great over rice
- 2 whole chicken breasts, split (bone in)
- 2 tablespoons flour, salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 sliced green onions
- Dredge chicken in flour mixture and brown on all sides in butter.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms to pan and cook until limp.
- Stir in sugar, tarragon and wine.
- Return chicken; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Mix 1 teaspoon flour with sour cream and pour into pan; stir over med.
- heat until sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle with green onion.
I left out the sugar and added the juice of half a lemon (while stirring, very slowly) after the sour cream was added and warmed...I wanted something a little more savory to put over top of mashed potatoes and this was lovely. I used fresh tarragon, probably about 2TBSP or more. Very French-y ;) Thank you for sharing!
Delicious! This was a big hit with the family and we'll make it a part of family dinners to come. I don't usually like to make multi step recipes on a weeknight after work, but this was relatively easy and so worth it. (I had a full dinner on the table within an hour of walking in the door having no idea what I was going to cook.) It has the comfort of a "cream of" soup recipe, but with the fresh ingredients it tastes so much better. Next time I will add more garlic and fiddle with different mushrooms for a change of pace. Also, I can't wait to have fresh tarragon to try. I only had dried tarragon and it was great - fresh tarragon would be amazing. Most excellent, thank you!
Yummy! This is very tasty. I used portabellas for the extra flavor. So rich!