Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
When Mushrooms are cheap make a batch of this & freeze what you don't want immediately. When slicing mushrooms, set one aside for garnish. From Charmaine Solomon's Complete Vegetarian Cookbook.
- 500 g mushrooms, wiped & sliced
- 29.58 ml butter
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 29.58 ml parsley
- 4.92 ml miso
- 1419.54 ml vegetable stock or 1419.54 ml water
- 2 slice bread, crusts trimmed
- 118.29 ml evaporated milk
- thickened cream, to garnish
- 29.58 ml parsley or 29.58 ml chives, finely chopped, to garnish
- Melt butter in a heavy-based saucepan and cook the onions on low heat until soft.
- Add garlic, parsley and miso paste and stir for 3 minutes over moderate heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook, covered, over low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Add stock and the bread and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool slightly and puree in a blender.
- Reheat without boiling and stir in evaporated milk just before serving.
- Top each soup filled bowl with a teaspoon of thickened cream poured in a swirl from the tip of the teaspoon then draw the tip of a knife through the cream in spokes from the centre, to form a decorative "web".
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley or chives over and lay a thin slice of mushroom on top.